For three nights I struggled with trying to figure out why I could not get Piwik's web analytics software to load it's installation page successfully. I was attempting to migrate it from a FreeBSD 10 server to a FreeBSD 11 jail and nothing, nothing I did was working. I kept on getting the following two errors in my php logs:
PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of xxxx bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 20480 bytes) in /usr/local/www/piwik/core/FrontController.php on line 416 PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of xxxx bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 20480 bytes) in /usr/local/www/piwik/core/FrontController.php on line 227
This message seemed to be telling me that my php process was running out of memory. The reason this was so puzzling is that I took my PHP configuration files from another jail running different PHP software, that had worked! I could not fathom why the same files would not successfully serve (with minor modifications) piwik.
As it turns out, the php configuration files were not the problem. It was missing php modules that caused the issue. How did I figure this out? Well, in desperation I decided to just go back in time (one piwik version at a time) to see if any would work. I eventually saw a different error with version 3.0.0. Even better, I knew what this one meant.
The error was:
Error in Piwik: Call to undefined function Piwik\ctype_alnum()
This indicated that I was missing the php ctype module, so I installed it with
pkg install php71-ctype. Then I received another error:
Error in Piwik: Call to undefined function hash()
This indicated that I was missing the hash module. A quick
pkg install php71-hash later and I finally had what I needed: the Piwik installer. Having found success, I then went back to the latest Piwik version. And lo, It worked!
Here is the final list of php module packages I installed:
php71 php71-pdo php71-pdo_mysql php71-curl php71-filter php71-hash php71-ctype php71-session php71-json
Hope this saves you 3 days.